Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What's For Dinner?

So, tonight I wanted to do something a little different for dinner. Since both kids started school this year, I am finding that I have a little more time to make things from scratch as well as catch up on cleaning and such. So, I went on RecipeZaar to see what I could find. I really wanted to find something that would use up some of these veggies we brought home from Lenny's garden at my inlaws house!

Here's a few more pictures of some of the finished product from his garden. More still to come as I didn't get to all of them yet LOL!

Just a few of Lenny's Gourds. He had so many, he had enough for us to keep some here for decoration, send some to his classroom to give 2 to every child in his room (18 kids), send some to Mackenzie's classroom to give 2 to every child in her room, give some to the secretary at Mackenzie's school, plus 2 more milk crates full, plus sold some at the Harmony Fair last week!

This is just some of the peppers we brought home from his garden at my inlaws!

This is just some of the butternut squash he grew. We don't typically go through squash very much so we only took home 5.


I will have more pics of his crops for you as I get them cleaned up. We have tons of corn too, and there's still some on the stalks that we left, ready to pick! LOL!

Anyway, on to dinner. So, I got to looking at all the veggies we have now. I wanted some butternut squash for dinner tonight. So, I went on RecipeZaar to see what I could find.

I found this recipe called Garlic Roasted Butternut Squash. As I look through the ingredients, I realize... "HEY! I have everything!" So, I decide to make this for dinner... but adding my own little twist!

So, instead of using the red peppers, I used one green pepper from Lenny's garden, and one orange pepper that we bought for something else but I didn't use. Also, since there was no protein ingredient in it, I decided to add chunks of boneless skinless chicken breast and make like a casserole out of it.

Let me tell you... this tasted so good! I had compliments from both Lenny and my husband on this recipe! Though, my husband and I decided that the chicken just didn't seem to match with the rest of the flavors as I had wanted, and next time I make this, we are going to try adding cubed ham or sweet sausage.

The whole time Lenny was eating this tonight, he kept saying, "mom, this squash is really good!" Hubby and I even went back for seconds! And, to top it all off... there was only 28.8g of carbs in this dish! Oh yeah, this is definitely one to keep in my recipe book!

Do you have a family favorite recipe to share? Post it in my comments! I would love to try it! Please include serving/portion sizes as well as total carbs per serving though. Makes things easier, not only for me, but for any newly diagnosed families reading to easily figure out the carbs.

I would like to encourage you to try this dish and tell me your thoughts! If you add your own twist to it, as I have, please share!

No comments: