Monday, April 16, 2012

Merry Monday Recipe--Cheesy Potato & Ham Soup

Like many people, after Easter dinner, I wound up with a TON of leftovers.... including, leftover ham!  I had 2 gallon freezer ziploc bags full of leftover ham! So, on Tuesday, I decided to freeze one bag full... and find something yummy to do with the other (or atleast most of the rest of the ham lol).

I came across this recipe, and decided to give it a shot since I did have most everything in the ingredients list (and I added some things to it too lol!). I doubled the batch (though the recipe below will not reflect that, it will only reflect a single batch, just fyi). Let me just say.. I'm glad I doubled it! I had no idea how big a hit this dish would be for my family! My Little Man asked for seconds (which is a rarity!), and my hubby went back for 3rds, and took a bowl full to work for lunch the next morning!

So, be prepared... this is a yummy one! LOL!

Cheesy Potato & Ham Soup

Ingredients:
3 cups diced potatoes (I used canned potatoes since I was out of real potatoes lol)
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup diced onions
1 chicken bullion cube ( I used base instead of cubes)
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tbsp flour
1/3 lb velveeta cheese (I used shredded cheddar since I was out of velveeta)
1/2 tsp salt
pepper, to taste
2 cups cubed ham

Directions:
1. In large, heavy saucepan, bring first 6 ingredients to a boil.
2. Cook till veggies are tender.
3. Mix milk and flour together and add to veggies.
4. Cook, uncovered, until boiling STIRRING nearly consistantly.
5. Add the cheese, salt, pepper and ham.
6. Stir till cheese is melted

Prep time: approx 30 mins
Total time: approx 1 hr
Makes 3 servings

Serving size (approx) 1 cup

Total Fat: 15.8g
Total Carbs: 45.9g
  Sodium: 1478.9mg
Protein: 16.4g

I know this one is pretty high in fat and protein, but I noticed very little affect on my Little Man's sugars, and it was such a yummy dish.. I just had to share!

Please remember though, just because a particular recipe doesn't seem to have an affect on my son's sugar levels, doesn't mean they wont for your child. Every child is different.

Enjoy!



No comments: