Monday, June 6, 2011

Thank You!

First and foremost, I want to thank you all for being so patient with me the last few months. We, as a family, have had a lot going on and I was just struggling to find the time to sit down and write.

Since April, we have been needing to take my daughter to various doctors and get various testings done. While, I will not go into detail with what is going on now until we find out a sure fire answer, I will say that whatever it is, seems to be affecting mostly her development. We are still persuing finding an answer to what is going on, so please bear with me if my postings are still not as consistant as they used to be.

Now, onto the good news!!

I am pleased to announce that Lenny, my daughter, my MIL and I were able to attend our first ever Diabetes Walk this weekend!! The Blair County Diabetes Walk supporting the Diabetes Research Institute was an amazing walk! I don't know about anyone else, but I can honestly say, I left there feeling so inspired! You could feel the positive energy the moment you walked in!


From left to right, front row: Lenny's Kindergarden Teacher and her son, Mackenzie, Lenny, Lenny's aide's grandson, my friend's daughter, me, my MIL. From left to right, back row: RN at Lenny's school, School Board Member, LPN nurse at Lenny's school, teacher at Lenny's school, Lenny's aide, and my friend.
Team Lenny, which consisted of 2 of Lenny's school nurses, his kindergarden teacher and another teacher from his school, a member of the school board, Lenny's aide, my MIL, my friend, and let's not forget the kids.... Lenny, Mackenzie, Lenny's aide's grandson, Lenny's kindergarden teachers' son, and my friend's daughter! (We had one more person on our team also that was unable to make the walk that day as well.)

10 adults, 5 kids, all walking to cure diabetes!

Through the efforts of everyone in this picture, Team Lenny raised over $1,000 this year! The Blair County Diabetes Walk raised, in total, a whopping $25,000 for the cure!

The kids had a blast! Tom Karlya, also known as Diabetes Dad, who is the Vice President at the DRI was also at the walk. He came over and talked with us for a while. Tom and Lisa (Lisa is the founding member who originally started this walk 3 years ago when her son was diagnosed with Type 1), are a true joy and inspiration to be around. They are families, parents, just like us. Both Tom and Lisa have children with Type 1 Diabetes. Tom, in fact, has two children with Type 1!

Will we be doing the walk again next year? ABSOLUTELY!

I wouldn't miss it for the world!

I would like to thank everyone who was involved and supported Team Lenny for all their hard work, support, contributions, and love. I would like to thank everyone who donated and sponsored our team, those who donated blindly to all the donation cans we set out, those that came to the walk and walked to support everyone who lives with diabetes, everyone who donated on our Diabetes Diplomats page, and everyone that helped Team Lenny in this cause. The love, compassion, and care you all share for people fighting diabetes is truely remarkable, and I thank you for everything!

Here are more pictures I was able to take at the walk.

The kids walking holding the Team Lenny poster.

School RN, School Board Member, and School Teacher walking for the cure!
The kids and 2 school nurses walking for the cure!

The kids got their faces painted! LOL Think they had fun?!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a blast!

Heidi / D-Tales said...

What a great day! And a great event, too!

Lora said...

I hope you get some answers with the testing. I remember how scary all that stuff was.

Glad you had a good time at the walk. They always do a wonderful job for the kids.

Unknown said...

Reyna, It was a blast!!! I can't wait till next years!

Heidi, it was awesome! So much so, I told my husband that I think it would be TOTALLY worth him taking a vacation day off work to attend next years!

Lora, thanks. I pretty sure at the moment that it is nothing "serious", so I am not too terribly worried. She will just need to work a little harder than others her age, though these testings are necessary to have done. We don't have the results back yet, but we will most likely need to make another trip to Children's Hospital for an overnight EEG to be performed (as she didn't sleep at ALL during the "Sleep Deprived EEG" she had performed a few weeks ago LOL. Lil stinker!