Friday, October 8, 2010

Sickening news story

As I was checking out Facebook today, waiting for the next blood sugar test time, an article caught my eye. It was one that a fellow mom with a T1 child had posted.

It had to be one of the most sickening news stories I have read/heard in a while, and reminded me why I am not so eager to listen to the news.

Read the story here- Couple Accused Of Denying Insulin To Diabetic Daughter

Did you read it?

When I read this, my stomach literally did summer saults. I felt so bad for that girl. How can people in this world be so cruel?

I can't imagine what could have been going through that couple's mind to DENY their diabetic daughter her life supporting insulin.

Yes, I said LIFE SUPPORTING.

Insulin is NOT a cure, it is life support. It ASSISTS our children to continue living, it does not cure their disease. It does not fix their pancreas. It does not make beta cells regenerate. It just allows our children's bodies to break down the glucose in their bodies into energy their cells can use. Not a cure.

I have to admit, as a mother of a diabetic child, I think if I were to see that couple walking down the street after hearing about that, I would most certainly have to slap them.

There is absolutely NO excuse for denying their child her life saving medication. What they did, in my eyes, is bordering on attempted murder. And, I hope the court systems and jury looks at it in that light as well. I hope that girl is placed in a safe, loving home, with parents who know how to be parents and understand the importance of keeping close tabs on this disease.

I just want to scoop that girl up in my arms and give her a big hug and console her that everything will be ok. She needs someone right now. My heart truely goes out to her.

Let's hear your thoughts.

No comments: