Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Good Question

I was asked a good question today while talking with my mother-in-law on the phone.

She asked me what the difference was between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, other than one you live with forever and the other you can get rid of.

I told her, the easiest way I could describe it based on what I have read was:

Type 1 Diabetes is where your pancreas basically shuts down. After being repeatedly attacked by your immune system, it is no longer able to produce the insulin producing beta cells. This is what causes Type 1's to need life long insulin injections. Their pancreas just doesn't work anymore, can't produce the insulin your body needs.

Type 2 Diabetes, based on what I have read, is basically where, either your pancreas can produce insulin, just either not enough or can't use the insulin it produces (insulin resistance). That is where the pills, exercise, and diet become involved. However, if the pills aren't as effective as they should be, then a person with Type 2 can still need insulin injections.

After talking with my husband about this, after I got off the phone with my mother-in-law, he informed me that he, too, has done some reading up on this. He says that the pills they give to type 2 patients are typically a hormone enhancing pill. He says, with type 2, it often times could be a hormonal imbalance.

This made sense to me since it is hormones that our brain goes by to notify our bodies of when do to different functions, etc. Like when we are "full" after eating; in women, when our menstral cycle should happen, etc.

So, the way I gather it, the pills for type 2's are basically a hormone enhansing pill, to encourage their pancreas to produce more insulin to cover the carbohydrates eaten. This topic has struck me as very interesting, as well as has raised some other questions in me regarding type 2. So, this week, as I have time, I will be doing some "research" on this to better understand what the pills do, etc.

As I find information, I will post it here for you all to read as well!

In the meantime, however, I would like to share with you a couple of links regarding Type 1 and Type 2, to help you better understand what they are and how they differ.

(I know many of my readers are mommies with type 1 kids, but, I wanted to post this information for anyone who may be reading who doesn't know about it but would like to learn!)

What Is Type 1 Diabetes?

What Is Type 2 Diabetes?

No comments: