Thursday, March 3, 2011

Inside The Sugar Free Mind Of... Nicole Rekart!


Megan Rekart, dxd T1 @ age 13
 Today we are interviewing D-Mom Nicole Rekart about her T1 daughter, Megan.

Nicole homeschools her children, raises awareness for diabetes, and is a stay at home mom.

Megan was diagnosed at the age of 13 years old.  We asked Nicole to share her diagnosis story with us, how it affected their family, the support system they have, amongst a variety of other questions.

This is their story:


Can you tell us about when Megan was diagnosed?
   Megan was Diagnosed July 21,2010. We took her to the doctor
as she was having yeast infections symptoms.To our suprise when the Doctor came in to tell us that we needed to go to the
hospital as Megan was possibly Type 1 Diabetic. It was a terrible feeling, We as parents could not take this terrible disease
away with a antibiotic.


How old was Megan at the time of Diagnosis?
   Megan was Diagnosed at the age of 13 years old.

What emotions did you go through at diagnosis?
   I as a mom was beside myself. I was angry that I did not know the symptoms
I was upset I could not cure this with a doctors appointment, I was stressed because our life would change in so many perspectives
and I was scared that I did not have all the answers. (Why, What and how did this happen.)


How has the diagnosis changed your life?
  We live a new normal.I recently quit my job, Our school was unable to reassure as
of Megan's care. I homeschool Megan, We eat coutning Carbs and we know have a number range to stay in. We preplan all events or trips.  Your family?  Our family has changed as  our youngest daughter has decided she is also going to be a home school child. Our youngest daughter has gone to classes with us and knows the same if not more about how to care for Diabetes then we do. Your marriage? We have had to learn that Date nights are rare. We have learned Mom does not get much sleep
anymore. We have turned our lives to God. We have always believed God is our guide but, we have really learned to give our stress and pray to God as without him in our lives we would just have so many more questions.


Did you have a good support system when Megan was diagnosed?
  The hospital was great. Our family does not truly understand, No one has really stepped up to take classes or try to understand so we do not leave Megan with them. Our friends have changed. We love our friends new and old but surround oursleves with faith and people who try or do understand the life as a Type 1 Diabetic. 

Did you get involved in a diabetes support group soon after diagnosis?
  yes, I have many forums I visit, I have many new T1 Parent friends from Facebook whom without them I would not be strong, Positive and confident about Diabetes. If so, online and/or offline? On-line...

What online diabetes communities/support groups, if any, would you recommend and why?
   Facebook has many forums you can join. T1 Hang Out,   A cure for Graces, American Diabetes website, JDRF website is amazing.I have found Face book to be a huge tool as these parents are faced with what I am everyday and no they do not have a medical degree but, they guide you to the right directions and they keep your stress-level down :).

What part of the world are you from?
  United States, the state of Missouri.

If someone reading this interview post who lived in your state/providence was living with Type 1 Diabetes and wanted to connect with you for support, would you be OK with that? If yes, how could they contact  you? Yes! I am on face book (Nicole Ruszala Rekart)
or they can contact me via- e-mail
nrekart@sbcglobal.net


In your opinion, what is the hardest part about living with Type 1 Diabetes, and why? The hardest part is getting people to understand that it is not a diet change, there is no Cure, and that I am not a super mom, I do what I do because My daughter is my life and she needs me to be all I can be.

Can you say/think of anything positive you have found about living with T1 Diabetes since diagnosis? Yes...I actually can say That we are a closer family, We rely on one another and we work together, I feel as if I have more knowledge and I am more in tune with our bodies, We are meeting many wonderful new friends. I am a stronger mom.

What can  you think of that you allow, despite of caring for a child with T1? My entire life has changed I am a better person as I take life and everyday like it is a gift!

What diabetes-related non-profit organization, if any, do you support, and why? I support JDRF, We are recently invovled with American Diabetes Association and we are working on a web site for Megan Rekart Racers.

Do you have a blog about diabetes? Facebook profile? Twitter? Facebook Fan Page? If so, what are your links? Not at this time, We are working on it :).

What advice would you give to a family newly diagnosed?  Always ask your doctor first. No questions is a dumb question. Do not listen to the negative, Do your research, get invovled and gather around positive people and not negative Nelly's.

What 3 things would you like more families not living with Type 1 Diabetes to know? We need a Cure Type 1 Diabetes is completely different then Type 2. Our children did not eat to much sugar or eat poorly to get T1 Diabetes. We are all good parents who would love nothing more then to say Our children use to have Type on Diabetes. I dislike hearing I could never hurt my child by giving them a shot, Because in reality I am not hurting my child I am keeping her alive.

Do you work outside of the home, work from home, or are you a stay at home mom? I teach my children as they are home-schooled.

Thank you for participating in our interview Nicole! We have enjoyed getting "Inside" your "Sugar Free Mind" and learning more about you, another strong "D-Mom"! Keep up your faith, advocating and educating for Megan, and helping the D-community strive for a cure! All your hard work will pay off, one day!

Would you like to be a featured "D-Mom", "D-Dad", or T1 survivor here and be interviewed by us? Email me at T1DTeamLenny@gmail.com with the subject title: Interview!

No comments: